Tuesday 5 February 2008

Quickie - Uni related.

Today I posted a comment on my law societies’ facebook group.
As they saw fit to email me and tell me that new people had been elected to positions of "power".
I am not a member of the law society, because it’s absolutely shit. It does nothing, it hasn’t helped me at all. I did consider running for the law society president position however as I was unaware of there being elections I guess that is out of the window too.

Below is the comment I left on their facebook group page. I do not care if I receive a backlash of "oh we do this" which I have had before from them, because they haven't or at least I have not known that they have and I check their facebook group page regularly, and I believe i am still on their email list.

"To be honest.
I really honestly think that the law society does nothing.
This is not just my opinion, but an opinion echoed by the majority of people that I associate myself.

Coodos to the Bar Society, Pro Bono, LAC, and Mooting. But really the law society has done nothing for me in the past 2 years."

So a big up yours to the law society that is absolutely shit. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The problem with Student Law Socs is that they can be a bit, well, insular and not a bit cliquy, which is annoying if you are trying to bang down the door and get in there, particularly with respect to things like court visits and domus dinners at the inns; the law soc at my uni was always run by third years who were looking to fix up their CV's (ironically!!) and so if any of the latter experiences were going they tended to send themselves without taking into account first and second years.
The key thing is to work your way into their good graces - approach them about mooting and about things like domus dinners; it's hard work to get involved but its also a good thing to put on your CV ( I certainly put on mine that I belonged to my Uni's Law Soc,because I was, even though it was a bit shit!!)

Android said...

I was never a big fan of uni societies, because they are useless. And committee members... well, they think their stupid titles will get them anywhere (but they are mistaken).