Thursday 25 June 2009

A Call for Change?

As some readers may know, I got my results on Monday and was fortunate enough to have got a 2:1 this year, along with 60% of my univeristy. Only about 20 people received 2:2s.

Now the problem that occurs with my 2:1 is that there are people who are above me, that have consistently got good grades even a couple of firsts but not a first over all, who have the same degree class as me, which I obviously think is unfair, and then there are people such as a certain friend who failed all their exams last year, resat them, only received bare passes got four 2:1s this year, and now has a 2:1.

There seems to be a general problem, when the 2:1 category has been expanded.
I would definitely call for some reform within Universitys and Nationally. There is too much discretion placed in the hands of the examination boards (whether for better or for worse)

To take one extreme case, in order to be considered for a first at my uni, you have to normally have three firsts out of your 8 grades from the second and third year. Now one girl this year did not get a first with three firsts, but her friend did with 3.5 overall. The huge difficulty was that infact in total the girl who did not get a first had a better average total mark then the girl who got a first.

You may be thinking? What you get a first with three firsts? Or Wow thats unfair, and yes it is.

With university students all now appearing to get 2:1s, and refering to the example above of someone who did absolutely no work in their second year, had to resit then very strangely did no work in their third year, and got a better average mark than myself (still bitter) what does this mean about the status of a 2:1?

Obviously people will now start looking at transcripts, but to those professions that don't check the transcripts this seems mightly unfair, on all of the people who are much above me on the 2:1 scale, and infact quite on fair on people like me, who have people below them on the 2:1 scale, who got away without doing any work.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeez, this is quite scary to one of the old fart brigade. When I first graduated, it was roughly 5% firsts, 20% 2:1s, 50% 2:2s and 25% pass degrees. Do pass degrees (or thirds) even still exist ? One gets the impression that even the lobotomised will scrape a lowly 2:2 these days.

I don't wish to doubt that the majority work hard and are deserving of their degree (and they can, in any event, only do what is asked of them by the system). But it is difficult not to be sceptical. It used to be that a 1 or 2:1 was referred to as a good degree, but when seemingly 75% of students are now awarded a good degree, is it any longer good ?

Anonymous said...

HI LOST.

I AM AN AVID READER OF YOUR BLOG.

JUST WANTED TO SAY GOOD GRADES, THE BEST I COULD EVER HOPE FOR!

HAVE YOU HEARD ANYTHING FROM CAMBRIDGE YET? WHAT WAS THE SPECIFIC CONDITIONS OF THE OFFER? SORRY IF THIS HAS BEEN ANSWERED BEFORE!

I AM SURE YOU WILL BE FINE THOUGH!

KATIE

Minx said...

My Dear Lost!!!!

I know I am EXTRAORDINARILY Late to the party ( as usual) but may I offer my heartfelt congratulations with respect to your degree results.

As to your concerns with respect to those who apparently did very little work and got what may seem to be superior results I would suggest that you put them to one side and concentrate on you, yourself, getting into Cambridge or on to a good MPhil/LLM, going on to the BVC and getting the Criminal Pupillage of your DREAMS.
Those who apparently look good on paper in proportion to the very SMALL effort they expended in comparison to you will always remain just that. Good on PAPER. They will never translate out into the world - and if they DO, they invariably make a hash of it!

Android said...

I too think it's unfair, but what can you do?

Anonymous said...

Hey i have seen you mate at QM and your very sexy!

x

Lost said...

erm? what? :S